कविताएं और भी यहाँ ..

Sunday, April 21, 2024

illusion of control !!

 Before getting to the main point, let me share an example as food for thought, I've always liked manual cars, even though automatics are more common now. I hoped manual cars wouldn't disappear. Even though automatics are easier and make driving more comfortable for many, I loved manual cars. You know why? I felt in control with a manual. Shifting gears and working the pedals (by putting my left hand and left foot to some better work) kept me busy and gave me a sense of power. I felt like I was guiding the car to do what I wanted. Last week, though, I drove an automatic car reluctantly a few times. It made me question:

1. Was I really in control all the time?

2. Did I really own the machine ?

3. Did I really have power over it?

It took me a day to realize I was fooling myself.


Now, let's move on from that example and look at a bigger picture in our lives. People with privilege and power often think they're making all the decisions and plans. But it seems like we're just following a script, given a steering wheel and gear shift to keep us occupied. But why do we need these things from nature or a higher power if we could do fine without them?


Every powerful person in the world tends to believe they have control, but it's just a feeling I'm calling the "illusion of control." Think about it, our average lifespan is about 70 years. How long do corporations last? A couple of hundred years, maybe? Nations and ideas have definite lifespans, and nothing lasts forever, right? Who was the most powerful person to ever live? Who was the richest or cleverest? What about the people who shaped our world, the inventions, governments, and companies that brought prosperity? There isn't just one answer. There are many, and some of the biggest contributors might have died without anyone even knowing their names. But they all probably felt like they were in control, like they were going to change the world and make it better. But were they really alone?

It's like the toughness of a truck driver navigating through the Himalayan roads with no power steering, relying on muscle power to deliver something important. He probably felt that same illusion of control. Every powerful leader on Earth may have felt the same way. Even today, some are desperate to control or change things, but it seems like no one truly can. The world is confusing, and our understanding is limited. We're all just part of a big show where we think we're in control, but really, we're just being guided along a path of gradual progress, both culturally and scientifically, giving humanity the illusion of control for millions of years.


Perhaps as I pour out these words, I'm beginning to sound like a philosopher. Maybe for a brief moment as you read, I'll sway your thoughts. But what happens after that? Will you remember any of this? Will it truly make a difference? Why am I even writing this? Why now? It all feels hollow and foolish, doesn't it? Human beings, with an average lifespan of 70 years, imagining they have control over a world that's billions of years old— it's all just an illusion!

No comments: